Re: AW: Handle errors when booting

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: AW: Handle errors when booting
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:31:58 +0800

On 1/30/24 12:32, Mathias Radtke wrote:
Hi

At grub prompt (grub>) print output of

search -f /efi/microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi
echo $grub_platform

There is

if [ "$grub_platform" = "efi" ]; then

before the mentioned code segment to only allow this search on EFI devices

Correct, but it does not say if it is indeed efi
It will not proceed if it is not efi
So we won't know if that is the reason it won't boot.

It searches for file bootmgfw.efi
But it does not say if it has found it.
So we won't know if it exists and the reason it won't boot.
Or it exists and still won't boot.

If windows is not efi, it won't have bootmgfw.efi but ntldr
And if it is an older windows it will have file bootmgr instead.
So if it does not find bootmgfw.efi,
you can use search to search for ntldr or bootmgr if you are not certain