Re: grub-mkrescue vs grub-mkstandalone.

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: grub-mkrescue vs grub-mkstandalone.
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 07:19:33 +0300

On 08.07.2023 02:04, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
Hi here,

I have some puzzles on the difference between grub-mkrescue and
grub-mkstandalone, more specifically, I would like to know the
following things:

1. Currently, I'm using the following command to make a standalone EFI
bootloader:

$ grub-mkstandalone -O x86_64-efi -o grubx64.efi --modules='lvm fat
ntfs part_msdos part_gpt ext2 btrfs probe regexp search configfile'
boot/grub/grub.cfg=./boot/grub/grub.cfg

Can I use the grub-mkrescue to achieve the same goal?

no

2. In the above command, if I use all available modules as the value
of --modules, as shown below:

$ grub-mkstandalone -O x86_64-efi -o grubx64.efi --modules='time
,,,
hfsplus video configfile setjmp tga disk'
boot/grub/grub.cfg=./boot/grub/grub.cfg

But the EFI file generated this way will freeze when I try to load it.
Any more hints for this problem?

--modules are initialized when binary is started by firmware. Some modules may conflict, in particular nativedisk is most certainly incompatible with EFI (I still wonder why it is built for EFI at all). Others may cause some side effects accessing hardware in unexpected way.

3. Can I achieve the same goal with grub-mkrescue to create an EFI
file as done by grub-mkstandalone?

How is it different from 1?