Re: Grub.cfg help request

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub.cfg help request
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 08:56:38 +0300

On 05.03.2023 00:26, shelly16@posteo.de wrote:
hello

I've been trying to write a grub.cfg that does what I want, without
having to patch the source code but I don't think it's doable.
Can you advise ?

here is the synopsis:

if shift not pressed

There is no generic way to do it. As extreme example - with serial terminal there is simply no way to query SHIFT (or any other modifier) state. On UEFI support for querying modifiers state was added relatively recently and as far as I can tell it is still incomplete and may not work. Other platforms may have similar limitations.

try
find a luks2 partition named foobar on the sata bus
mount it (ask for the passphrase)
load mygrub.cfg from this partition
boot the default boot option
endtry
endif
display a password protected menu

This all is fairly normal grub.cfg code.

- boot seabios
- boot tianocore

I am not sure I understand it; if you are in grub, you are already past the BIOS, so what "boot BIOS" means exactly?

- grub command line

Not sure if there is any command to do it. Usually grub switches to command line when you press ESC in menu.

do you see something not doable by a grub.cfg ?