Re: UEFI: can running grub-install help after a motherboard change?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: UEFI: can running grub-install help after a motherboard change?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 21:35:06 +0100

Le 26/02/2022 à 11:48, Sébastien Hinderer a écrit :

The other thing that happened is that when I ran grub-install it
reported that the system does not support BIOS variables.

Do you mean EFI variables ? Either the system booted in legacy mode, or efivarfs is not mounted.

This scared me
a little but now things seem to work OK, perhaps because the bootloader
is seen as a removable device?

Which options did you use when running grub-install ? Without any options it does not install in the removable media path and it requires EFI variables.

Here is the output of efibootmgr:

BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0002,0001,0004,0003,0005,0006
Boot0001  Diskette Drive
Boot0002* debian
(...)

There is a "debian" boot entry, first in boot order, and used by the current boot. It looks as it should.

It feels to me some cleanup would be in order

No, other boot entries are not related with boot loader installations but with available boot devices.

Is there a safe way to determine whether the BIOS varialbes are actually
available / enabled?

If efibootmgr did not complain, then EFI variables are available.

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated.