Re: Grub freezes when it touches large initrd

From: JZB
Subject: Re: Grub freezes when it touches large initrd
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 21:34:35 -0500

Just a side-note, when I tried to use an initramfs (not quite the same
as initrd) embedded into my kernel binary (as initramfs's are), when the
unexpanded size exceeded 512 MB, the system would hang.

I have successfully run initramfs's that expand to less than 512 MB, but
never greater.  I tried looking for an "official" answer on a 512 MB
limit for initrd/initramfs, but never could find one, thus putting my
dreams of a full server distro. on a ramdisk on hold for the moment.

I guess all I'm saying is maybe it ain't a grub thing...try it with
syslinux for comparison.

--z