Re: Pass parameters to kernel when using chainloader method.

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Pass parameters to kernel when using chainloader method.
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 13:45:33 +0100

Le 26/12/2020 à 12:18, David Balažic a écrit :
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 07:31, Narcis Garcia via Support requests for
the GRand Unified Bootloader <help-grub@gnu.org> wrote:

As I did understand, and please make me the right correction (or link
documentation):
BIOS calls MBR
MBR loads/calls GRUB
GRUB chainloads to disk sector where kernel begins.

Last step does not allow to pass parameters because GRUB just loads
first 512 bytes of OS kernel?

No, it loads the entire kernel, but that is a different command ("linux").
The chainloader loads a boot sector (or more of them). This is the
"chainloader" command. It is usually used to load and runa another
boot loader, not directly an OS.

In the old days, a Linux kernel could boot directly from a floppy without a bootloader, so I guess it could be chainloaded like any other boot sector. But the Linux README file says :

 - Booting a kernel directly from a floppy without the assistance of a
   bootloader such as LILO, is no longer supported.

Indeed, a recent Linux kernel image still has a boot sector but it contains the following text :

 Use a boot loader.
 Remove disk and press any key to reboot...

Maybe some kernels other than Linux can still boot that way.