nativedisk not working in 2.0.4

From: Maksim Fomin
Subject: nativedisk not working in 2.0.4
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 06:01:24 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Thursday, November 26, 2020 7:08 PM, Brian J. Murrell
<brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-11-26 at 19:05 +0000, Maksim Fomin wrote:
>
> > After some time I realized this does not work even after supplying
> > modules as arguements to nativedisk command. After loading drivers
> > grub loses access to sd-card from which it boots, so it becomes
> > inoperable.
>
> Right. But why?
>
> AFAIU it's supposed to work, in theory. So why is it not working in
> reality?
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Yes, the question is whether it is *supposed* to work and I am not sure the
answer is yes. Judging by grub output after invoking nativedisk command, grub
changes the way it accesses devices and after the change its root folder
becomes inaccessible. May be this is because sd-card drivers are unavailable or
for some other reason. Anyway, in theory desired behavior can be supported, but
after following grub mailing list for some time it seems for me that grub
developers are not interested in supporting rare use cases (this one falls in
the such category). So, my prediction: it won't work in the future. Even if
someone proposes a patch, it will be rejected.