Basic Info / bootloader nubee

From: Polish, Mark C
Subject: Basic Info / bootloader nubee
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 23:09:38 +0000

Greetings.

Is this the right forum to ask basic development questions about the current
Grub2 code base?

If so, I have two that would be very helpful to know:

1.       I've noticed that using the 'insmod' command from the grub command
line does NOT call the GRUB_MOD_INIT ( ... ) function, whereas building a
module into grub at compile time does.  I also can't seem to locate the code
that actually calls GRUB_MOD_INIT.   Since this function appears to be where
one is expected to register module commands via
'grub_register_extcommand(...)', I am unable to use insmod to dynamically load
modules (via grub.cfg) and then call a custom function, since init is never
called to register it.  (Note: compiling my module into the core is not an
option due to undesired side effects and certain constraints)

2.       How do you call another module's functions?  Is this even an option?

If there are other/better resources than this mailing list to find answers to
these types of questions, please share.

Thanks in advance!

Pioneer99

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended
recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one
else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its
attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message
to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer.
Your cooperation is appreciated.