How to completely disable all UUID and dynamic probing?

From: Joshua Hudson
Subject: How to completely disable all UUID and dynamic probing?
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 21:32:06 -0800

How to completely, disable UUID=  and other dynamic probing in grub2?

Basically, autodetect will never work on this computer. I've been
using a hand-hacked lilo to handle booting because all of the grub
instructions resulting in trying to do dynamic probing.

I currently have the bios set to legacy boot, but the bios claims to
support UEFI. Anyway, the way this works is you get passed a hard disk
identifier in dl. That's the hard disk to boot. Don't try scanning
drives, you'll fine multiple copies, most of which are insane. I
literally see the extra paths inside the OS as well. You should not
try to access any other disks at all until the kernel is booted. The
correct root device is in /etc/fstab, so update-grub can build the
proper kernel command line. /boot is not a separate filesystem but is
/ (which simplifies this problem). Peeling off the partition number
does yield the correct volume as a kernel device.

You don't even want to think about how this works. It just does. The
device to boot is in dl at boot time. The root device is in
/etc/fstab. I do in fact know the entire disk device if it calls for
putting it in a config file.

Everybody's saying don't edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg; edit the config
files in /etc/grub. Doesn't matter though. I can't figure out how to
express this in the config at all, grub.cfg or the files handled by
update-grub.