Re: A further question on my "how to move to an NVME disk" question

From: sashab
Subject: Re: A further question on my "how to move to an NVME disk" question
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 19:49:17 +0100

Hi Chris,

for trial'n'error you could
    mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt
and try if
    update-grub
tells you about any "other" OS'es found.
(There sould be an os-autodetect script supplied with the grub package.)

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest to
enter grub shell on boot and check if you're
able to
    ls
your nvme disk there.

If you can, "update-grub" did something wrong
or the script mentioned above is missing.
In that case I would add a custom boot entry in 19.04 like
    echo 'menuentry "19.10" {configfile (hdX,gptY)/boot/grub/grub.cfg}'\
    >> /etc/grub/40_custom
with (hdX,gptY) replaced with the label you saw in grub shell.

If not, reboot to 19.04 and
    mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt
    rsync -ahP /mnt/boot/*vm*linu* /boot/
    rsync -ahP /mnt/boot/*ini* /boot/
    grep /boot /etc/fstab >> /mnt/etc/fstab
    update-grub
If it still doesn't work, you could
    cp /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub_new.cfg
and try to load the config from the grub shell on reboot.

Hth

Regards,
    sashab