Re: determining root mounting point from GRUB command line prior to boot

From: Blue Upsilon
Subject: Re: determining root mounting point from GRUB command line prior to boot
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 22:16:29 +0000

thanks Steve;  but this does not solve my problem.
to be more clear this is what i do when i boot:
======
grub> set root=(hd0,gpt4)
grub> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/nvme0n1p4
grub> initrd /initrd.img
grub> boot
======

this works;
but line #2  can be problematic in some cases.
say i'm booting from an external disk backup.
then in line 2,    i don't know what to set root equal to.
if I do:     ls  /dev    then it does not show the various sda1,sdb2,nvme0n1p4;
etc etc.

the only way i see these is:   say i don't set a root=...  argument,   then the
boot FAILS,     and i get to BusyBox  with an initramfs command line.
in this command line,  if i do    ls /dev      THEN  i do see the various
/dev/nvme0n1p4,   etc etc....
but,  is there a way to see these in GRUB command line?   that way i can know
what to set the root arg equal to.......

Cheers,
Blue