Re: How to generate correctly the "set root" with grub2

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: How to generate correctly the "set root" with grub2
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 21:15:23 +0100

Le 23/11/2018 à 15:01, Renato _ a écrit :

This is what is generated by default when I boot the host at 1st time :
set root='hd0,msdos1'
root=/dev/vda1

and this is what I would like to the end :
set root=(hd0)
root=/dev/vda

This makes sense only if the drive has no partition table and is filled entirely with a single filesystem, like a floppy disk. But this drive seems to have a partition table.

my guess, I should play with the "boot/grub/custom.cfg" file? Do you have some
examples?

The contents of custom/cfg will be sourced at the end of grub.cfg at run-time. But I fail to see how it will change previous boot menu entries.

Also, I realized that enabling GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID by true, that still
generate UUID on the file.  Is is that expected?

Yes. This option only affects the root= parameter in the Linux kernel command line, not the way GRUB itself looks for devices for its own use.