Grub can see some files but not others on the same partition

From: Zachary Winnerman
Subject: Grub can see some files but not others on the same partition
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 20:23:02 -0400

Hello,

I am having a very strange issue with Grub 2.02. Grub fails to boot and
drops into a rescue shell because it can't find
/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod. If I boot into a livecd though, the file
exists. The strange part is that from the rescue shell, I can see files
in /boot/ such as /boot/intel-ucode.img but no files in /boot/grub/. The
partition scheme is all one big partition of btrfs on top of mdadm
raid6. The system is a BIOS system. From a chroot in the livecd I ran
the following to reinstall grub to the disks:

for i in /dev/sd{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k}; do grub-install
--target=i386-pc $i; done

and the issue persisted.

Can anybody here offer some insight into why this is happening?

Thank you,
Zachary Winnerman