Re: Linux ZFS Grub compatibility

From: Xen
Subject: Re: Linux ZFS Grub compatibility
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 19:48:25 +0200

John Lane schreef op 08-06-2018 15:10:

I'm trying unsuccessfully to create a ZFS zpool that I can read in Grub.

Haven't done it myself yet but it seemed there were plenty of tutorials.

One thing to note is that on Solaris, you could not boot from a pool that has
a separate cache, but that might not even apply to Grub.

The only thing I've remembered, is that you do have to use filesystem volumes, and not any zvols - but grub should have a parameter syntax to select the filesystem volume.

Also do zpools themselves not have a boot parameter?

       bootfs=pool/dataset

Identifies the default bootable dataset for the root pool. This property is expected to
           be set mainly by the installation and upgrade programs.

I'm sorry I cannot offer anything more, but your problems are also rather unspecific.

Regards.