Re: Grub Config File to long

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Grub Config File to long
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 20:39:50 +0200

Le 23/05/2018 à 10:12, Simon Hobson a écrit :
Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Is this a multiboot setup with multiple GNU/Linux systems installed and using
GRUB ?
I have observed a similar behaviour under these conditions, although I could
not really explain it. I suspect it is due to a misinterpretation of other
system's grub.cfg file when generating grub.cfg.

Do you mean that something like this happens :

Say you have 3 systems: A, B, and C
Run update-grub on A and it finds A, B, and C - so 3 entries
Run it then on B and it find the 3 entries in A's grub.cfg and builds it's own
containing B, A, C (found directly) plus A, B, C copied from A's grub.cfg.
Run it on C and you get C, A, B (found directly) plus A, B, C copied from A's
grub.cfg plus B, A, C, A, B, C copied from B's grub.cfg.

Thus you quickly end up with C, A, B, A, B, C, B, A, C, A, B, C - that's 12
entries after just once round the OSs. This will quickly run out of control,
growing at an ever faster rate.

Yes, I suspect something like this. But I don't know how and why it happens or not. It does not happen on my laptop with three successive versions of Debian. Actually I have only seen it indirectly from other peoples' grub.cfg.

If that's what is happening, then that suggests a lack of (effective) duplicate
detection in update-grub - or perhaps there's none at all on the basis that you
should not be having multiple installs like that ?

Err, what then would be the point in having grub-mkconfig detect and include other Linux systems in the menu ?