Re: problems dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: problems dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 21:35:11 +0200

Le 11/05/2018 à 21:16, David Collier a écrit :

I am still confused though: how come the same firmware is booting Linux in
legacy and windows in EFI mode (did I get this right from your
explanations?).

Most PC UEFI firmwares can boot in legacy mode, i.e. the old BIOS way.
This can be confusing when booting a removable media which is both EFI and BIOS boot capable.

The windows installation is pretty fresh, I can easily reinstall it, but
how do I control which mode it is installed in (EFI vs legacy) - I don't
recall any options for this anywhere.

You control it by forcing the firmware to boot the installation media in either mode. Either disable the boot mode you do not want, or select the boot mode you want.

Then ideally you must find a way to boot in EFI mode and start a shell
in Ubuntu.

this also seems to indicate that I can control which mode the firmware is
using to boot (how do I do that?), or is this a function of the image which
is being booted?

This is a function of the UEFI firmware. Of course the image must support the selected boot mode.