Re: Grub-install fails with grub-install: error: disk `md0' not found.

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Grub-install fails with grub-install: error: disk `md0' not found.
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2018 13:41:02 +0200

Le 31/03/2018 à 12:13, Mark Syms a écrit :

My system received a package update for grub from the distribution but
as the package completed its update it failed (on all four drives)
with the error in the subject line.

Which distribution ?

System has 4 2TB drives in it, each with 3 partitions. Partition 1 is
a bios boot partition, partition 2 is used in a 4 way RAID1 for /boot
and partition 3 is used in a 4 way RAID5 array with LVM serving all
the rest of the storage. (...)

I've run grub-install with -v but that hasn't really given me any
hints but if someone can point me at the important parts of the
verbose log I'm happy to find and post snippets of it.

Can you post the full command line and output (without -v), along with the full output of cat /proc/mdstat and fdisk -l (on one disk) ?

I have made several installations with /boot on mdadm RAID with no problem, it is rather standard.