GRUB timeout not working after power failure

From: Benjamin Moody
Subject: GRUB timeout not working after power failure
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 18:34:02 +0000

Hi,

(please CC me, I'm not subscribed)

I'm using grub2 (2.02-0.65.el7.centos.2.x86_64) on CentOS 7, and
having a strange problem: the system fails to boot after a power
failure.

>From what I can tell, grub *should* be configured to always have a
5-second timeout:

        if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
          set timeout_style=menu
          set timeout=5
        # Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
        # unavailable.
        else
          set timeout=5
        fi

(I'll attach my complete grub.cfg, but there's no other mention of
'timeout' in there.  There are no major changes from the stock CentOS
configuration AFAIK.)

However, when I physically disconnect and reconnect the power, without
pressing any key, the system comes up (after POST) to a grub menu,
with no visible countdown timer, and just sits there.

Is there anything in grub that might cause the timeout to be
cancelled, *other* than pressing a key?

If not, the only thing I can think of is that for some reason, the
BIOS (or IPMI) actually sends the system a fake keypress in this
situation.  Does anybody have any idea of how I could check whether
that might be happening?

What I would actually prefer, for this particular system, would be:

 - if no keys are pressed, boot the default entry after 5 seconds

 - boot the default entry after 5 minutes *even if* a key is pressed

Is there any way to make grub do that?

Or does anyone have any other ideas about why this might be happening
or how I could fix it?

Benjamin