Re: Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header

From: Xen
Subject: Re: Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 13:13:21 +0200

Mat628 schreef op 10-04-2017 12:46:
Thank you for the quick response. I just wanted to clarify a few
things from your response.

Matt, I just want to say it does not help to paste such a wall of text, I mean to say it makes it rather hard to follow what exactly you mean and what the essence of your statements are okay.

I mean not to disregard you, but it would make it easier to focus on what you want if you were to write it a little more condensely or better formatted :p.

I think personally that a required configuration option to grub-install would be acceptable and for it to fail without those options, and I think using a file for configuration would also be the best bet.

I would personally assume that something could be done in the dedicated /etc/grub.d/ directories that would allow grub-mkconfig to function as required without changing anything to it?

I understand that MATTLE is a reference to your name but don't you think it is confusing to a user as to what it means? Of course you could later remove that.

Am I correct in stating that your patches would only require:

- command line options on each invocation of grub-install to reference a config file of sorts - a config file in a dedicated directory that would allow this config to persist

- a way to generate menu information that does not deviate much from having custom files in /etc/grub.d/?

Pardon for any intrusion here, I only seek to help and clarify a bit.

Regards.