Force location of GRUB's boot and core images ?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Force location of GRUB's boot and core images ?
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 10:14:05 +0200

Hello,

In some cases I would need to force installation of GRUB's boot and core images into a specific location on the drive instead of letting grub-install decide automatically.

For example :
- install the boot image in the first sector of an unformatted partition
- install the core image in the second and next sectors of that partition.

Is this possible through any undocumented options or internal commands ?

At the moment the only way that approaches what I need is tu use a partition type such as btrfs which supports embedding, but this is overkill as it requires btrfs-tools to be installed and a ridiculously huge minimal partition size.

(Please CC me as I have limited access to the list)