background_image fails to display image when timeout_style=hidden

From: jzb
Subject: background_image fails to display image when timeout_style=hidden
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:34:36 -0800

Could someone please confirm if this behavior is what they also see:

I have a background image set, and is displayed as expected, _AS LONG AS_

'set timeout_style=hidden'

is NOT set.  In other words, if I have

'set timeout_style=countdown'

or nothing (meaning 'set timeout_style=menu') in my grub.cfg, background works
as expected.  If I change _only_ the value, to "hidden", so it becomes

'set timeout_style=hidden'

the background image is not displayed.  No other change is necessary to
demonstrate this behavior.

This is on i386-pc installation.

Is this an intentional design choice (a poor choice IMHO if it was), or is it
a bug, or something else?

This is with grub-2.02~beta2 version, built from source locally.

Thanks...