Re[2]: Building grub2 for use as a kernel on qemu

From: Shaun Reitan
Subject: Re[2]: Building grub2 for use as a kernel on qemu
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 18:23:28 +0000

Ya, that’s where i originally started with this was building a bios (actually started with coreboot + grub2) but the issue i found was that grub doesn't seam to be able to see the disks. It can if i run the qemu system using full virt with harddrive emulation but if i try and use virtio for better performance the disk is just missing. I'm guessing grub probably needs virtio drivers simular to what was done with xen.

At this point i'm a bit lost as to what i should try next. Sounds like i386-pc built at a kernel is probably the best solution however i need to figure out how to build an image that can search and load a configfile from the disk. grub-mkstandalone says the image is too large, i'm not sure how to strip it down.

So then, should i be using grub-mkimage with a memdisk that has another grub config? So i'd build the kernel with a configfile (memdisk)/boot/grub/grub.cfg and inside that grub.cfg it would do the searching? Would i be in normal mode then? I'm going to attempt to test this out now, i just wanted to shoot off this email just in-case your still up since it seams like were on opposite ends of the world :)

--
Shaun