Re: Using acpi line to load DSDT table at runtime - Linux 16.04

From: carlos izzo videla
Subject: Re: Using acpi line to load DSDT table at runtime - Linux 16.04
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:26:47 -0300

Hello:

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016, at 11:45, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> Compile table, place it in a file accessible to grub and use
>
> acpi <file>
>
> where <file> is name of file that contains compiled table. See if your
> "info grub" contains description of acpi command.
Done.

Took the original dsdt.aml file extracted previously and placed it in
/boot.

Added ...

[code]
 acpi /boot/dsdt.aml
[/code]

... to the grub kernel command line, saved and rebooted.

The rig passed all the preliminary BIOS loading normally and at the
instant the system should have started to boot and show me the grub
screen, it stopped at a dark screen.

Nothing else, just a dark screen ...
Like if grub had not started at all.

The only way to get out of that place was ctrl+alt+del and then select
(via boot device selection - F8) an internal USB drive I have set up
with a frugal TinyCore Plus 7.2 instalation (loads into RAM) for
emergencies such as these.

Then I proceeded to rename /boot/dsdt.aml -> /boot/dsdt.000 and rebooted
the system.
As it did not find the file, it booted normally.

I'm booting Mint 18 - Linux version 4.4.0-28-generic (address@hidden).

With respect to grub and acpi:

[code]
info grub
[/code]

This edition documents version 2.02~beta2.
This manual is for GNU GRUB (version 2.02~beta2, 15 April 2016).

--- snip ---

16.3.2 acpi
-----------

 -- Command: acpi ['-1'|'-2']
          ['--exclude=table1,...'|'--load-only=table1,...']
          ['--oemid=id'] ['--oemtable=table'] ['--oemtablerev=rev']
          ['--oemtablecreator=creator'] ['--oemtablecreatorrev=rev']
          ['--no-ebda'] filename ...

     Modern BIOS systems normally implement the Advanced Configuration
     and Power Interface (ACPI), and define various tables that describe
     the interface between an ACPI-compliant operating system and the
     firmware.  In some cases, the tables provided by default only work
     well with certain operating systems, and it may be necessary to
     replace some of them.

     Normally, this command will replace the Root System Description
     Pointer (RSDP) in the Extended BIOS Data Area to point to the new
     tables.  If the '--no-ebda' option is used, the new tables will be
     known only to GRUB, but may be used by GRUB's EFI emulation.

--- snip ---

Any additional pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

CIV