Re: Order of operating systems

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Order of operating systems
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 06:02:46 +0300

04.07.2016 20:18, Nikhil Prakash пишет:
> I have recently installed a linux distro along with windows. By
> default it came with GNU GRUB, with linux distro at the top and
> windows at the bottom of the list in the boot option. I want the
> change this order, can you help me with that?

All distros I'm aware of are using grub-mkconfig to generate grub.cfg.
grub-mkconfig calls scripts in /etc/grub.d and puts their output in
grub.cfg. So to change order you would need to change names under
/etc/grub.d. Look at grub.cfg, script names are put there as comments.

Note that if grub package is update it will most likely place scripts
under original names again.

May be you simply want to set Windows as default menu entry? This can be
done without rearranging menu entries.