Re: OldWorld NetBootIng

From: Ben Hildred
Subject: Re: OldWorld NetBootIng
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:50:32 -0600

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
В Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:33:58 -0600
Ben Hildred <address@hidden> пишет:

> Old world macs do not work with grub.

I thought powerpc-ieee1275 platform is exactly for old world macs.
nope that is for new world

>                                       they do not have OpenFirmware,

Again, I naively thought that PowerPC macs had OpenFirmware and Intel
macs have EFI. But I may be of course completely wrong here.

there are basically four families of macs: motorola, old world, new world, intel. intel of course uses eif (mostly they netboot using bsdp instead of pxe). new world and old world are both powerpc, but only new world use OpenFirmware to boot (ieee1275), old world still use the old roms. the good news is that powerbooks started using open firmware without changing cases, so you may have a new world mac, in which case it should work just fine.

>                                                                     and
> will not netboot. New world macs have OpenFirmware, should work with grub
> (I have not yet confirmed this as I have been fighting cross compile issues
> and this is not yet a priority as other boot loaders work good enough for
> now), and netboot just fine (see hildred/unboot on github for a dhcp
> configuration file that should work with all macs that can netboot).

Ben Hildred
Automation Support Services
303 815 6721