Re: Query about command line commands

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: Query about command line commands
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 07:51:23 +0000

Bret Busby <address@hidden> wrote:

> Plurry UUID - those things should be banned, and devices, eg
> used, to make it all less obscurantist and more user-friendly - "the
> way it used to be".

They were introduced to fix a very real problem - and one that I've been hit
with.
If you only have one disk then you're not affected. If you have multiple disks
but on one controller, then you *probably* are not affected. If you have disks
on multiple controllers/controller types then you are affected.

It's to do with the indeterminate way that controllers may be located and
drivers loaded. There's no way to guarantee that what appears to the OS as sda
*on this boot* will be sda to the bootloader - or even to the same OS on the
next boot.

Personally I prefer to use filesystem labels - Debian doesn't support that in
it's packaging of Grub, though it does support using device names (eg sda). It
will do what using UUID does - but it does need admin intervention to set the
labels *AND* the admin has to make sure the labels are unique. That includes
allowing for (say) calling your root filesystem "root" and then connecting an
external drive which also has a filesystem called "root".

So while they are a bit of a PITA when you have to copy and type them, they are
there for a good reason.