Re: Grub2 booting Dell Diagnostics

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub2 booting Dell Diagnostics
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 06:31:02 +0300

В Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:56:36 +0100
Ole Reier Ulland <address@hidden> пишет:

> Grub2 produces an option for booting Windows in the menu that is not in the
> /boot/grub2/custom.cfg file. What I have done is to make a copy of the
> automatically produced menu entry and made one myself in the custom.cfg file.
> An identical copy booted Windows. So now is the question of how to change it
> so it will boot the other partition on the same HDD.

It is entirely up to the content of this partition.

>                                                      I changed the menu line,
>
> "msdos2" to "msdos1" since I am now booting the first partition and not the
> second, and the UUID. I believe those to be correct, but what remains is the
> file system type.
>
> QUOTE from /boot/grub2/custom.cfg,
>
> menuentry 'Dell Diagnostics (on /dev/sda1)' {
>     insmod part_msdos
>     insmod fat
>     set root='hd0,msdos1'
>     if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
>         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-
> efi\=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1 O7D4-0318
>     else
>         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 07D4-0318
>     fi
>     drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
>     chainloader +1
> }
>
> END QUOTE
>
> When Grub2 boots Mageia4 on file system id "83" (Linux) the menu says,
> "insmod
> ext2".
> When Grub2 boots Windows on file system id "7" (HPFS/NTFS/exFAT) the menu
> says, "insmod ntfs".
> What shall I then use in the menu in "insmod xxx" when I want to boot Dell
> Diagnostics on file system id "de" (Dell Utility)? Unless this booting needs
> something else, that the Windows partition did not need, it is not "fat",
> "vfat" nor "DellUtility".

File system type only relevant here to find out filesystem UUID. It is
not needed for booting. But you can check it with

grub-probe -t fs /dev/sda1
grub-probe -t fs_uuid /dev/sda1

assuming your partition is /dev/sda1.

> As the menu entry is right now it only causes the computer to restart.

This could mean that first sector of this partition (that you load and
execute) does not contain any valid bootcode at all. I won't be
surprised if BIOS is using some vendor-specific mechanism to start when
asked to boot from this partition.

Run
https://github.com/arvidjaar/bootinfoscript/raw/master/bootinfoscript
under Linux and upload result somewhere (pastebin or similar).