Re: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 22:06:36 +0300

В Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:58:43 +0400
John Frankish <address@hidden> пишет:

> I ran the following:
>
> $ sudo x86_64-grub-mkrescue --modules="iso9660 fshelp loadbios part_msdos
> part_gpt normal terminal crypto extcmd boot gettext linux video relocator
> mmap font bufio efi_gop video_fb efi_uga gfxterm bitmap_scale bitmap gfxmenu
> trig" -o myiso.iso iso
>
> The iso as-is boots, but still contains copies all of the modules in i386pc
> and x86_64-efi.
>
> I don't see the logic in embedding modules if the same modules will be copied
> to the iso anyway?
>
> If I delete the x86_64-efi folder from the iso, it doesn't boot and complains
> about all of the missing modules for ever.

And which modules are missing? This works for me

address@hidden:~/build/grub> pkgdatadir=$PWD ./grub-mkrescue -d grub-core -o
/tmp/foo.iso --modules="linux part_msdos minicmd ls" --install-modules=""
/linux=/boot/vmlinuz-3.16.7-7-desktop /initrd=/boot/initrd-3.16.7-7-desktop

linux /linux
initrd /initrd
boot

minicmd is for lsmod and ls is for ls. part_msdos is not really needed.
It still works using minimal --modules=linux

> Wouldn't it make more sense to either embed the modules or copy them to the
> iso, but not both?

Probably. Someone will need to code it for a start.

> In any case if the correct modules are embedded then the boot should not fail
> for the lack of the same modules under x86_64-efi.

This is exactly what happens here. If it does not work in your case,
I'm afraid you will need to debug it.