From: Rajat Jain
Subject: Loading different kernels based on platform identification (DMI)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 14:44:59 +0000

Hello,

I have a case of a hot-pluggable USB stick that can be put in multiple systems
to boot. The USB stick has grub installed and a couple of different kernels.

My Goal is to write a grub script that:
- determines the platform type (by consulting the DMI / SMBIOS data). I have
verified that the BIOS passes the system identification correctly via the DMI
(by dumping in linux).
- based on the platform type, loads a particular kernel.

My Question:
How can I read DMI data in a grub script. Specifically, I'm looking at getting
data such as System information, BIOS version, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_BIOS

I did look at the grub manual
(http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html) as well as the commands
available in my grub but could not find any reference to how I could do the
same.

Any help or pointers shall be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rajat