how to install the bootloader

From: Reinhard Kotucha
Subject: how to install the bootloader
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 02:10:08 +0100

Hi,
I'm running Gentoo Linux and used rsync in order to create backups on
another disk.  The content of the backup disk is exactly the same as
on my working disk.  And I installed a boot loader on the bachup disk
so that I can simply swap the disks if necessary.

Some time ago I noticed that the backup disk didn't boot anymore
though I didn't change anything.  I tried to install the bootloader
again.  grub-install didn't complain but the disk didn't boot and
there was no error message.  Nevertheless, the backup disk was quite
useful though, I could at least restore files I removed accidentally.

Now my main disk seems to be broken.  The system still works but I get
zillions of I/O-errors on /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4.

I bought a new disk now because I don't want to modify anything on my
backup disk.  Now the new disk contains an exact copy of the backup
disk.

When I try to boot the new disk, I end up in a grub shell.  This is
much better than the blinking cursor I've always seen in the past.

The first step seems to work:

  grub> root (hd0,1)

This is correct.  The first partition /dev/hda1 (hd0,0) is the swap
partition and /dev/hda2 (hd0,1) contains the operating system as well
as the /boot/grub directory.

When I try to install the bootloader

  grub> setup (hd0)

I get the error messages

  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
  Checking if "/boot/stage1" exists... no

  Rerror 15: File not found

Why? /boot/grub/stage1 definitely exists on (hd0,1).

What do I miss?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25