Re: gpg verification issue over tftp

From: Robert Kliewer
Subject: Re: gpg verification issue over tftp
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:29:43 -0600

I don't have a local disk setup to test, but a memdisk test works without issue (using code from git master on 11/11).  I was able to add some debug logging to isolate the issue to grub_file_close.  I attached a screenshot and some more info to the bug report (43601).  It seems like the gpg close and tftp close may be stepping on each other, but not really knowing the code I'm just taking a guess.  Removing the grub_device_close call from grub_file_close fixes my issue, but I know it's not the right answer.  Hope this helps.

On Nov 15, 2014 10:40 AM, "Andrei Borzenkov" <address@hidden> wrote:
В Tue, 11 Nov 2014 14:06:14 -0600
Robert Kliewer <address@hidden> пишет:

> I'm seeing an issue in rhel 7 grub 2.02 based on grub 2.02~beta2 (none of
> the rhel patches appear to touch gpg, so it's almost certainly in the main
> line as well).  If I'm using a gpg public key with check_signatures
> enabled, all file operations over tftp break grub (efi x86_64 image running
> on vmware 10).  For example if I cat a signed grubenv file, the file
> displays in its entirety but it is followed with:
>
> alloc magic is broken at <addr>: <value>
> Aborted.  Press any key to exit.

This sounds like memory corruption. It does not need to have anything
to do with gpg, could as well be a tftp/network problem. Useful tests
were

- test same operation from local disk (to exclude network)
- test current upstream master whether problem still exists there