Re: Extract memdisk from grub image

From: Robert Kliewer
Subject: Re: Extract memdisk from grub image
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 12:29:17 -0500

Thanks for the info, I was able to get what I needed to decompress the lzma portion of the image.  It was trivial to extract the config after that.    Thanks again.

Rob

On Jun 26, 2014 9:29 PM, "Andrey Borzenkov" <address@hidden> wrote:
В Thu, 26 Jun 2014 13:41:08 -0500
Robert Kliewer <address@hidden> пишет:

> I was wondering if there is a way to extract an embedded memdisk from a
> grub boot image.  I am trying to recover a grub config embedded in a
> memdisk (this is the primary config, not the initial one used with the -c
> option) of a grub pxe image I created.  I couldn't find what I was looking
> for among the current utilities and and I went off into the weeds pretty
> quick looking at the grub-mkimage source to figure out how to disassemble
> the boot image.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Look at
https://github.com/arvidjaar/bootinfoscript/raw/master/bootinfoscript

It contains loop over all modules in core.img. Note that you cannot
pass file to it - scripts is intended to detect bootloaders installed
on a harddisk. I started at one point writing "core.img parser" based
on it, but got distracted.

Note that script expects that files starts with diskboot.img. You may
need to tweak it for PXE image.