Re: Dualboot with LVM/LUKS

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Dualboot with LVM/LUKS
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 22:26:18 +0400

В Thu, 8 May 2014 06:26:57 +0100 (BST)
Andreas Riedel <address@hidden> пишет:

> Dear GrubUsers,
>
> I've to install two Ubuntu-Systems on the same machine. Something that is
> descript in many place if the systems are unencrypted becomes very hard in
> that moment the system are encrypted.
>
> This is my setup:
>
>     sda1 (256MB) P-Partition /boot

Shared boot is in general bad idea.

>     sda2 (320GB) P-Partition / -- MainSys
>     sda5 (64GB)  P-Partition / -- MultiMediaSys
>

> I figure out how to install this both systems encrypted. But installing the
> second system it becomes clear that I will come in trouble. While install the
> second system the install-process can't see the other installation. Totally
> clear, it can't look into the encrypted partition. Therefore no GRUB was
> configured for Dual-/Multi-Boot. That means, I've to configure GRUB manually.

What is not clear - did you install second system successfully? Could
you boot it?

What you could do - mount root from main system manually and re-run
grub configuration again. This should add second system to menu.

> It's not easy the find an tutorial anounce this (and nothing to post here,
> because my native language is german) but I come too the following
> (unsuccessful) solution:
>
> sudo su
> cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 MainSystem
> mount /dev/mapper/MainSystem /mnt
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
> mount -o rbind /dev /mnt/dev
> mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
> mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
> chroot /mnt
> grub-install /dev/sda

Note that it does not update grub configuration which probably still
points to the second system. You need additionally run grub-mkconfig
(or some distribution specific tool that does it) to rebuild
configuration so it points to new root.