Updating CPU microcode possible?

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Subject: Updating CPU microcode possible?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 12:18:06 +0300

Hello.

Is it possible to update the CPU's microcode (an Intel CPU, in this case) with Grub? Meaning before the operating system starts.

I'm using Grub 2.02 beta 2 to boot three operating systems on my machine (Gentoo, FreeBSD and Windows 8.1.) It would be nice if I could make Grub do a microcode update before booting any of those operating systems. Right now, I am only able to a microcode update in Linux, after the kernel is booted.