Re: Grub Legacy, where can I get a copy of 0.97?

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Grub Legacy, where can I get a copy of 0.97?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 14:43:55 -0700

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 1:35 AM, sudoertor <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
> I was wondering, where can I get the grub legacy binary package? (0.97)

This list only supports grub2. You can find binaries, and sometimes
support, for grub legacy from various distributions, but I would
highly recommend just using the actively developed and supported grub2
instead.

> I would like to use the legacy version so that I can write my own operating
> system, but I can only get source code, but not the executables. (It doesn't
> help that I am getting "configure: error: C compiler cannot create
> executables" error from my GCC) I need to have a bootloader so I can play
> around with writing kernels while I learn C and assembly languages. (Yes, I
> know bad Idea, but I still want to try).

You can do all of that with grub2, in fact your statement "I would
like to use the legacy version so that I can write my own operating
system" seems like a complete non sequitur to me.

For developing your own OS, you may find
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html
helpful.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)