Re: PC BIOS & EDD problem

From: Alexey Orishko
Subject: Re: PC BIOS & EDD problem
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 16:58:04 +0200

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Andrey Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Are old BIOS versions supported somehow or simply abandoned?
>
> The only information from INT13 0x48 used by grub is device size. Do
> you observe real problem or is it theoretical question?

I do have a problem to boot with latest grub2, while old linux
installation with grub 0.97 works fine.
Grub2 can boot linux on Intel mobo with old AMI BIOS (most likely
Phoenix EDD-3), but failed to boot the same type of mobo with the new
BIOS. Problem exists only when booting from USB stick, booting from
HDD works.

I know that BIOS difference was related to EDD spec version and it's
the only explanation I can think of.
Also, the new spec defines INT13 for disks less than 8GB and bigger.
All HDD are bigger than 8GB, but USB stik is 4GB, which kind of falls
in to chapter 5 EDD-4. Could 8GB limit for INT13 be related to the
boot problem?

Any suggestions for debugging with issue are welcome.

Regards,
Alexey