RE: Support for PXE Chainloading windows?

From: Mroczek, Joseph T
Subject: RE: Support for PXE Chainloading windows?
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 23:53:49 +0000

Oliver:

Sadly ipxe does not get us anywhere close to where we need to be. We have to
support a huge menu of linux images as well as huge menu of windows images from
network boot. We need i386-pc, x86_64-pc, i386-efi, x86_64-efi and we may be
adding arm-efi and ia64-efi in the near future. iPXE does not come close to
reliably providing this level of support, grub is the closest.

The reason we need this is that we have literally hundreds of different models
of devices from phones all the way up to 16-way servers. We need to be able to
restore these devices to known good configurations. Each with their own sets of
often incompatible tools. Some are Linux only, some windows only. We need the
capabilities to both clone OS and install fresh for a long list of operating
systems. We had been working happily for years with pxelinux for the -pc
platforms, but chainloading efi binaries is not supported. Hence we turned to
grub.

If you want some more details as to why this is important or want pointers to
some other folks who have to dual boot, let me know.

~joe