detecting disks and disk size

From: Loving, Kent
Subject: detecting disks and disk size
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 20:33:57 +0000

Hello,

I am using GRUB on a CD to boot a specialized live linux on the CD. I would like to customize the GRUB menu based on the number of hard disks that are installed in the machine that is booting the CD. I would also like to customize based on the size of the installed disks.

I’ve searched GUB manual, and tried every command at the GRUB> prompt that I hope would work. But nothing I’ve tried is helping.

I tried to use ls to check (hd0) and (hd1), but ls always returns 0, even if it prints an error.

Once the linux is booted I can use something like “cat /sys/block/sda/size” but that’s no help in GRUB.

Is there a command I am missing, or maybe a ‘diskinfo’ module?

Kent Loving
425-315-3043