Re: grub2 + LVM + Xen DomU

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: grub2 + LVM + Xen DomU
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 23:00:24 -0400

On May 22, 2013, at 10:49 PM, Andrey Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> This message does not come from grub. You are probably better off
> asking on Xen list.

Yeah the "no bootable device" is the (emulated) BIOS message not finding
anything in the boot sector, LBA 0, of the boot drive. So I wonder if you got
the grub-install command wrong for the  target.

Usually what I do booting from some other media than the target (like a rescue
disk or Live image), is:

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sda
exit
reboot

If even LBA 0 loads, but core.img isn't found you will get a grub loading error
because the code in LBA0 includes the error message if it can't jump to where
core.img starts. And if it gets to core.img but doesn't find the rest of the
grub files, you get a grub rescue prompt. So in any case, the message you're
getting seems to not even be loading code from LBA 0 from the guest image.

Chris Murphy