debugging grub.cfg

From: David H. Durgee
Subject: debugging grub.cfg
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 13:32:35 -0400

I have an unusual situation here on a system and thus cannot safely follow the usual recommendation to rerun grub-install to address a problem. At present my grub.cfg file appears to have a problem that I am trying to correct, but I am having difficulty determining which statement(s) are the cause of the issue. I have tried adding debug=all but then get buried in output that is of no help determining which statement is the problem. I would simply like a more detailed error message that what I am seeing.

At present my system boots to a sh:grub> prompt and I must manually issue a linux, initrd and boot to start the system. I have tried to track this down as follows:

sh:grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
<screen cleared>
error: Invalid mode: auto
<blank line>
Syntax error
Incorrect command
sh:grub>

Looking at my grub.cfg shows "auto" only one place:

set gfxmode=auto

Some searching shows that this is the default, so I edited grub.cfg to remark this line out with the following results:

sh:grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
error: No suitable mode found.
syntax error
Incorrect command
sh:grub>

I have also tried replacing "auto" with some specific modes, but I still get the "No suitable mode found." message

This is of course annoying, but I can boot maya manually by specifying:

sh:grub>linux /boot/vmlinux.... root=/dev/sda14 ro
sh:grub>initrd /boot/init....
sh:grub>boot

Any suggestions what I need to do to get my menu back? Any idea why it disappeared? Any further diagnostics I can run?

If it were another system I would likely simply try to regenerate/reinstall grub, but given all the "fun" I had getting grub to work here at all I would prefer another approach. The top line identifes this as "GNU GRUB version 1.97~beta4" I am running.

Dave