Re: Grub rescue

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub rescue
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 23:47:24 +0400

В Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:58:55 +0000 (UTC)
David WE Roberts <address@hidden> пишет:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:14:48 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:
>
> > Should grub rescue started from an MBR disc be able to see GPT
> > partitions?

In rescue mode grub has only drivers that are built into core.img. If
you used grub-install, core.img contains only enough drivers to enable
access to grub partition (where /boot/grub is located).

> /dev/sda 64GB MBR SSD with Windows 7 64 bit, and GRUB2 as boot loader.
> /dev/sdb 750GB MBR HDD with Ubuntu installed - GRUB2 chain loads from /dev/
> sda. /boot/grub is on this drive.

So core.img will have only MBR handler.

> My main problem is that I would expect grub rescue to list all the
> partitions it could see

Which is exactly what it does. It can see (or better, parse) only MBR.

> So can someone please tell me if what I am doing is not catered for, or
> which simple step I've missed out.

If you still can boot in original configuration, reinstall grub while
explicitly adding part_gpt:

grub-install --modules=part_gpt ...

If you cannot return to original configuration - just follow boot
recovery procedure for your distro.