Initial Program Loader in Hybrid MBR/GPT

From: Knapper
Subject: Initial Program Loader in Hybrid MBR/GPT
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 23:37:28 -0600

I want to be able to move a drive between a BIOS system and a UEFI system.  It seems possible when considering that an MBR's IPL would be loaded by a BIOS machine while the GPT's 'boot' flagged partition with an EFI application would be loaded on UEFI systems, assuming the UEFI firmware isn't buggy.

I understand how to convert the protective MBR to a hybrid MBR that BIOS machines can read.  I am less clear about how to get a working Initial Program Loader installed and configured to go on loading the rest of GRUB2.  Is this possible?  Does the content of the IPL depend on the partition scheme/configuration?  If not, can I create an MBR installation of GRUB2 and copy the IPL over to the protective MBR?  If I have a /boot partition and a /boot/efi partition, the MBR active flag should be set on the /boot partition while the GPT boot flag should remain pointed at the /boot/efi partition, correct?

Thanks