Re: Setting GRUB 2 default menu entry

From: Francesco Turco
Subject: Re: Setting GRUB 2 default menu entry
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:06:56 +0100

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 9:36, Jordan Uggla wrote:
> Does http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#default clarify
> things for you? Also, I highly recommend that you use a consistent
> naming scheme with your kernel images, and that that scheme use
> numbers that aren't spelled out, e.g. "/boot/vmlinuz-3.7.4-gentoo-4"
> rather than "/boot/vmlinuz-3.7.4-gentoo-fourth" so that grub-mkconfig
> will sort them by largest version number first, as you probably want.

I agree that is a good idea to use the naming scheme
vmlinuz-3.7.4-gentoo-1, vmlinuz-3.7.4-gentoo-2, ... instead of using
vmlinuz-3.7.4-gentoo-first, vmlinuz-3.7.4-gentoo-second, .... In will
certainly do that in the future.

Anyway I may not always need to load the greatest numbered image. For
example, I may do some mistake in the kernel configuration, and so the
default GRUB entry should be the previous one in this case.

But I still don't understand the criterion by which GRUB chooses its
default entry. Has it something to do which alphanumeric sorting? Or
last modification time? Or GRUB just picks up the first image it finds?

Unfortunately the link you provided me doesn't help me much.