Re: Grub menu entry without "root=" in SLES11SP2 machine

From: Grzegorz Dwornicki
Subject: Re: Grub menu entry without "root=" in SLES11SP2 machine
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:32:18 +0100

On the Sylicon Valey Linux User Group at the "Kernel Walktrought" (you can watch it on youtube) Jim said something about kernel remembering its root devide durring compilation soo when you don't use root arg it will use that setting inside of its image. But someone might verify this

G.

22 sty 2013 09:22, "Mulyadi Santosa" <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):
Hi Chaitanya

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Chaitanya Gotkhindikar
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to write a script that parse /boot/grub/menu.lst. On SLES11 SP2
> installed machine
> I observed that no "root=<device>" entry specified in menu entry of
> grub.However, the system
> boots up properly on reboots.

I forgot where I saw it too, try to unpack the initrd and find if
there is something that "helps" the kernel to find the root
partition/device

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa