Re: How grub generate menu.lst file kindly help

From: Felix Miata
Subject: Re: How grub generate menu.lst file kindly help
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 06:35:53 -0500

On 2013-01-04 13:50 (GMT+0500) Saqlain Abbas composed:

I have customized Ubuntu distribution, along with several customization i
have also changed distribution name, it works well. Currently I use this
cutomized distro rootfs with Linux kernel  but whenever i Install grub, the
auto-generated menu.lst file do have original distro name, My question is
grub read which file to determine distro name, as i want to customize it
completely.

Sample snippet from auto-generated menu.lst file

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic

Look at title, it contains original distro name, it shows i missed some
file in orignal distro and grub still can determine original distro name
and show it in tile. So kindly guide how grub determine distro name...

Have you looked to see what is in /etc/*release?

See:
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/os-release.html
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/os-release

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/