grub does not boot when disk order changes

From: Oguz Yilmaz
Subject: grub does not boot when disk order changes
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:05:48 +0200

Hello,

My BIOS has some problems and sometimes boot order of disks changes. I
thought that if I insall grub on to the MBR of second data disk, it
may boot. First disk(sda) is for boot and operating system, second
disk(sdb) is for /var. All partitions are labeled and fsck has labels
as partition references.

I have install grub on to MBR of second disk by "grub-install
/dev/sdb". It installed succesfully. However when I change the order
to second disk to simulate, I got: "Error 15: File not found" on grub
stage.

   | root (hd0,0)                                                            |
   | kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.3 ro root=LABEL=/ console=ttyS0,19200n8        |
   | initrd /boot/initrd-3.5.3.img

If I change grub line "root (hd0,0)" to "root (hd1,0)" it boots
correctly. However, this should work without admin intervention.

How can I build such a self working grub boot on case of a disk order change?

Regards,

Oguz.