Re: Error: Unknown Filesystem

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Error: Unknown Filesystem
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 09:50:30 +0400

В Сб., 27/10/2012 в 12:17 -0600, Chris Murphy пишет:
> On Oct 27, 2012, at 6:08 AM, Petro <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
> > 1      1049kB  200MB   199MB                boot  bios_grub
> > 2      200MB   16.2GB  16.0GB  ext3         data
>
> This is on UEFI hardware? Because a 200MB partition formatted vfat, the flag
> should be boot to make it an EFI System partition. Whereas if this is BIOS
> hardware, the flag bios_grub is for the GRUB core.img and only needs to be
> 1MB, not 200.
>

> > address@hidden ~]# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/1/
> > mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> So I think what you've got is BIOS hardware, and upon installing GRUB, it
> overwrote sdb1 with the core.img which doesn't require a file system at all.
> And isn't mountable.

Yes, when grub2 is told to embed on GPT formatted device, it will
silently search for bios_grub partition and put core.img there. Hmm ...
it probably should perform sanity checks that embedded area does not
overlap with root device ... behavior is a bit unexpected for users with
classical MBR formatted disks background.

> Your grub.cfg and associated mod files, etc need to go on sdb2. That's what
> you should mount and point the root directory to.

Or simply change sdb1 partition type to anything else, so it is not
overwritten.