Re: Grub command shell not created when building GRUB 2.00

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Grub command shell not created when building GRUB 2.00
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:50:45 -0700

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Survey Response
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 12.0.4 (Precise Pangolin) in a Virtual Box VM. The
> release comes with Grub 2 (1.99-21ubuntu3.1) through the grub-pc-bin
> package. I was trying to build Grub 2.00 on this box to test out the LUKS
> support. I build it following the instructions in INSTALL and everything
> seems to be okay (no errors reported, make check passed all the tests), but
> I noticed there was no GRUB command shell installed by this build (the
> command shell is still the one from 1.99)

What grub command shell? If you're referring to grub-emu, that's a
tool for developers and is generally pretty useless.

> address@hidden:~/grub-2.00$ grub-setup --version
> grub-setup (GRUB) 1.99-21ubuntu3.1
> address@hidden:~/grub-2.00$ grub-install --version
> grub-install (GRUB) 2.00

In grub 2.00 it's grub-bios-setup for BIOS based systems and
grub-sparc64-setup for spark64. grub-install will use the correct
grub-*-setup, and you shouldn't use grub-*-setup manually.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)