Install grub2 onto un-tarball'ed system

From: Schmidt, Christian Thorge
Subject: Install grub2 onto un-tarball'ed system
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:21:30 +0200

Hello group,

I frequently install systems from tarbell'ed systemimages. I use a USB thhumbdrive to boot, then prepare my HDD(s) and untar the system onto them, then proceed setting up grub.
After switching to grub2, Ubuntu 12.04's default bootloader, I cannot do my usual

$ grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> (setup (hd0)
grub> quit

anymore - what would I do to install my tarball's grub2? The USB thumbdrive also has grub2 installed.
The HDD /dev/sda1 to prepare is mounted under /mnt/dest/ if that is of any importance.

Thank you,
 Christian.