Re: ubuntu and text boot with grub2

From: Felix Miata
Subject: Re: ubuntu and text boot with grub2
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:28:54 -0400

On 2012/04/16 21:58 (GMT-0400) Chris Jones composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

 *buntu seems intent on using the display's preferred mode instead of
 mine. *buntu has always been a major PITA to get decent tty text on,
 again, unlike in rpm distros I have used or do use. But at least I do
 get to see boot messages that look like text, even if illegible.

If you feel that the font is too small, why change the ‘resolution’..?
Wouldn't it make better sense to stick with your display's native
resolution and use a bigger font..?

Probably for most users, but I'm not most users. I have 30+ multiboot machines used for testing devel distros and web sites. I connect them mostly to CRTs of various sizes and supported resolutions at various viewing distances. So, from one boot to the next there's no predicting any correlation between preferred mode and usable or required mode that might be pre-configured.

With Grub Legacy, older and/or non-*buntu/debian kernels, and legacy initrds, it is a simple matter to adjust cmdline to suit the hardware and conditions of the moment to boot into runlevel 3, tweak a file in /etc/X11 for resolution and/or DPI if necessary, then startx or switch to runlevel 5 to find the desktop already usably configured. I know what resolution and/or framebuffer mode is required for particular combinations to result in the default console font being a good size. Some distros even have a gfxmenu that puts the cursor on the cmdline options line in edit mode.

Grub2/*buntu have done a fine job making that kind of tweaking virtually if not totally impossible. In 11.10 it even has a menu driven tool for configuring boot that creates cmdline config options that don't produce selected results, and create a flash of error messages on execution that disappear too quickly to be read.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/